Sustainability is a key consideration for business operations in the 21st Century. As sustainability accounts for lifecycle cost, cost of ownership, product replacement parts and sourcing location, both local and national economies are affected. Product design and longevity affect not only performance, but the environment as well.
To lessen a product’s environmental impact, packaging waste can be reduced or minimized, steel waste can be recycled, products can be made to last longer, along with many other options that are discussed below.
Sustainability can be defined as:
1. Environmental Science: the quality of not being harmful to the environment or depleting natural resources, and thereby supporting long-term ecological balance
2. The ability to be sustained, supported, or upheld
What is sustainability?
Sustainability is based on a simple principle: Everything that we need for our survival and well-being depends, either directly or indirectly, on our natural environment. The environment provides the essential goods and services upon which healthy people, food and economies depend. Yet only when we begin to live sustainably, will healthy and productive ecosystems be restored and maintained for the benefit of current and future generations. Sustainability is important to making sure that we have and will continue to have, the water, food, materials, and resources that sustain healthy people, productive environments, and robust economies.
Mohawk Lifts & Sustainability
Sustainability at Mohawk Lifts is based on the life of our lifts –the lowest cost of ownership of any lift–and the strength and durability of our parts, which means fewer replacements and less material in the waste stream. At Mohawk, our lifts don’t “wear out.” Our products are built to last, and we stand by our two post lifts with a 25 year structural warranty.
Mohawk sustainability means:
Using chains that have a 10 year mechanical warranty versus wire rope (cables) with a 1 year warranty
- Sealed roller bearings vs. plastic slide blocks
- Sourcing domestic steel vs. imported steel
- U.S. machined parts vs. imported machined parts
- Supporting U.S. manufacturing vs. offshore, thereby keeping Americans employed rather than outsourcing manufacturing
Mohawk’s Sustainability Efforts Include:
- Mohawk Lifts’ lifecycle is 5-10x longer compared to its competitors
- Mohawk two post lifts have a 25 year warranty and a 10 year mechanical parts warranty vs. a 2 year of closest competitor
Minimizing packaging scrap to local waste stream when a new lift arrives
- Fewer parts to replace & repair = costs savings & less solid waste
- No grease = less dependence on petroleum
- U.S. made steel
- U.S. made parts and components – healthy economies
- Galvanized option on parallelogram extends lifecycle
- Recycling all steel waste – minimized environmental impact
- Recycling shipping tubes on Mobile lifts means they are used again and again
- Mohawk battery powered mobile lifts raise & lower on one charge more than any other lift in the industry – energy savings for you
- Minimal shipping material with lift. As examples:
- A 2500 lb. 2 post lift with a 10,000 lb. capacity arrives at a customer, yet only 8 lbs. of shrink wrap, banding, cardboard, and particle board go to the landfill
- A parallelogram weighing 20,000 or 30,000 lbs has only 3 lbs. of plastic wrapping and banding, therefore minimizing waste stream additions
- Recycling all office paper
- Brochures printed on recycled paper
- U.S. made low VOC Rust-Oleum paint – clean air